Friday, April 10, 2009

...HOME AT LAST!

Well i am back at last from my months journey.....
While gone I was so consumed by my job that I was unable to keep up with my emails and blog comments, let alone do any blog hopping. If i didn't answer you, please understand I was not ignoring you - and i apologize for my lack of communication.

This is a photo of the airport terminal in Philadelphia, on my way to Richmond. I loved the rocking chairs!
The job turned out to be pretty grueling - 15 hr days - but Richmond VA was gorgeous!
The Virginia State Capitol Building (we shot on these steps and through out the interior of the building....we shot here as if it was Washington, DC)

....statue outside the Capitol Building.....

The Governor's mansion...we shot a big DC party here.
I meant to take a zillion pictures - Richmond is full of incredible bronze statues, brownstones and historical monuments. I was told there was a fantastic cemetery there, but I never got a chance to see it.


The weeks just flew past!....I never even got a day off....

After the job was over, I flew to New York City to see my son Skylar. Sky lives in the most amazing loft apartment - the building is about 5 stories high and there must be 20 apartments on each floor. Sky lives with 6 other young professionals....each has their own tiny make shift room - and his particular loft is 2 stories, with a narrow spiral staircase that leads to the basement and 3 other bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is entered by crawling over the staircase rail. The apartment has graffiti on the mirrors, decoupaged doors and huge paintings and artwork on the walls. It is very clean - but very bohemian. Every week, "Junior" comes over to clean the bathroom and tidy the kitchen and do whatever else he thinks needs doing.....he does this for several apartments in the building - and in exchange he gets to sleep on a couch and take a shower......on the street level is a small cafe owned by a Frenchman named Max...in front are two old stadium chairs that will tip over if you aren't careful. Everywhere you look is eye candy....it was wonderful!

i had never taken the subway, and Sky showed me the ins and outs.
The people were a real treat! I saw a young girl with 4 nails on each hand painted one color, and the center nail painted a new color - a new trend, i thought! I loved how everyone dressed - hats, gloves, scarves, boots - fabulous leggings and socks and tights! Sky and I met my niece Jenny and her baby (my grand niece!) Maggie at Penn station and then the 4 of us went to Starbucks for breakfast and then shopping at Macy's - Macy's is 8 stories high! ...and the sales are phenomenal!
Then we went to a sushi restaurant and afterwards Sky had to get to school. Jen and I walked to Times Square - and OH MY! the shopping just blew me away. Button stores, bead stores, trim stores -- too much to buy! it was heaven! Then Sky and his cousin Francesca (who is studying fashion design in NYC) met Jen and I and Baby Mags at a steakhouse for dinner.

By now it was pouring rain and Jen and I were soaked (Mags we kept dry), but i learned how to hail a cab.....we took Jen and Mags back to Penn Station and the I went with Sky back to his apartment.
The next day I flew to my dad's in Sacramento.

My sister Teresa and her husband, Rick, nephew Jameson and girlfriend Lara, Martha my dad's friend, my dad, and Jan, Rick's mom....all of us at dinner at Don's Diner in Woodland, CA.
My eldest son Vincent had a few days before let me know he was in a Passion Play in Los Angeles....so of course I had to go see him!

Vincent, the Roman soldier

cool cross at Shepherd on the Hill Church, where the passion play took place.
I flew to LA Sunday morning. My dear friend Cassandra
picked me up at the airport in Burbank and she went to the play with me.
Later, she and i and her husband Bill went to dinner....and then I flew back to Sacramento. Whew!
I had a great time with my dad and my sister Teresa and yesterday i flew back home to Kauai.
I am so happy to be back home with my Lance, Chalupa and Sookie.
I really missed my family and am so excited to start up again with my artwork.
So there it is!
...now to catch-up!

2 comments:

Kathy L said...

Wow, what a great post! I felt like I was there with you. THank you for sharing all the great pictures. It sure sounds like you need some R and R.

k

jackie said...

Wow! What a whirlwind of activity! I enjoyed reading each detail and seeing all of the photos! Both of your sons are incredibly handsome! I was tickled to see Sky on "Saving Grace"!
Sorry your work time was so hectic and grueling! But happy that you ended the work with the treats of visiting your sons and your dad and family! I know it feels SO GOOD to be back home!
hugs,
jackie