Friday, September 24, 2010

MY cocoa tree has its first bean!

I planted this tree over 6 years ago.....it was supposed to be fruiting in 5 years.....but since it hadn't, I assumed it was a sterile tree....or it needed a partner.....but this month it had little flowers (again!)....and one of them turned into a pod!  Now I have to wait for the pod to get nice and long....then i will ferment it...dry it...and otherwise process my little pod to grind up into unsweetened CHOCOLATE.
...doesn't take too much these days to excite me.....

4 comments:

Fran S said...

YAY! Congrats on the pod! :) Miss you! xo

jackie said...

Way cool! I have never seen a chocolate tree before! I hope it continues to produce pods!

Joanne Huffman said...

I absolutely love the idea of producing your own chocolate. (Should I put in my order now?) This is really very cool.

Karen Owen said...

How cool is this!