Wednesday, December 29, 2010

an update - PLUS - pics from A WINTER SOLSTICE Swap!

Look how BIG my chocolate pod has grown!
...and now there is a new pod, up higher on the tree....
We have had tons and tons of rain lately.  So much, in fact that our "swale" turned into a mini river.....
But the dampness also brought lots of cool surprises.....
 lots of wild fungi......
 these are "jelly" mushrooms growing on an ironwood log. they feel really rubbery, and apparently they are edible - used in chinese cuisine.....not that i would dare to try them.....
 ...here are more of them.....
...and this is a giant hibiscus...look at that dreamy color!
 ...and this is a giant moth (about 4 inches) that did not survive the storm.  I just love the tattered wings!  I ordered some liquid silicone rubber and when it  arrives I hope to paint it on the wings to make molds ...I also found a mynah bird HEAD.  I did take a pic of it, but it is rather disgusting.   I think it was decapitated by a cat...but i won't show the pic.....i put the head aside so maybe it will decay and bleach out and leave me a nice skull....
Several pieces of vintage sterling silver flatware I have flattened to use as the bases for cuffs....
..
bronze and copper clay charms....
cute little butts...i tried to give the trolls wire hair, but i couldn't get the resin to set up right, so I'm still working on it....
this a a vacuum tool i have had for a long time.  For Christmas I got three types of plastic squares to melt in the platen and then lower onto objects i wanted to mold. 
 these are my first attempts.....
 isn't this cool?  I have to be really careful with undercuts or else the objects are hard to remove from the molds.....but it was fun experimenting and the molds are really detailed.  I love molds.  I collect them!...but i am trying my hand at making some myself now.
 This year 4 friends and I had a "winter solstice swap".  It was the BEST swap ever!
This is a handpainted and pieced canvas purse made for me by Fran Saperstein.  Glorious colors! Isn't it exquisite!  Fran also makes lovely paintings of all her travels.....

 Look at the yummy lining!
....and this is the incredible charm bracelet I received from Amber Dawn - the Queen of Charms!  Amber Dawn is FAMOUS for her macro-mini polymer clay cupcakes and other goodies.
Lucky Me!  A whole collection of Amber's one of a kind ART charms!    
Kara Klein sent me this stunning clutch made from hand dyed vintage crocheted linens.  It is SOOOO elegant!  Click on Kara's name link above to watch a video that interviews Kara as she describes how she makes the most AMAZING travel journal.

..and my last gift was made by Joanne Thieme Huffman -Joanne is a power artist extraordinaire ....she  makes fabulous polymer buttons, metal jewelry, fabric books, banners, scarves - and DOLLS!  My doll's name is "Cordelia"   ...just look at the details!
She came with her own stand so she can be displayed, but i loved photographing her against the waves and dolphins on this body board.
 For the swap I made cherry pit stuffed goddess dolls with skinny bodies, to be used as heat pads/cold packs.  ....but i forgot to take any pictures of them. LOL.

9 comments:

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

When I have some time and the sun is out, I'll post the pictures from the swap and I will, of course, include your cherry pit compress doll!
:o)

Lorri Scott said...

Hi Connie,

What a great post, so much to see!! Lovely things, interesting things, thanks for sharing!

Karen Owen said...

Wow, there were so many cool things to see and drool over in this post, but I was most amazed by those jelly mushrooms. So beautiful - wish we had those here.

Kris said...

Well Wow! I don't think I've ever seen so many cool topics in one post. Really intriguing stuff too. Love the molds. Very cool gift swap :)
Happy New Year Connie.

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful things came out of the rain - great photos. You're right, the Solstice Swap was one of the best swaps ever. I love my cherry pit doll.

jackie said...

I just loved this post! Each photo was intriguing! Can't wait to see your cherry pit goddess!

Kathy McElroy said...

Love the Hibiscus flower. You are so talented and make the coolest stuff. What a fun swap. I've never seen a chocolate pod before. Very interesting. I love mushrooms, never seen these before. Enjoyed my visit. Happy new year Connie.

Allyson said...

I love the troll doll charms, if they're ever for sale, please let me know! i love trolls and i've been trying to make a charm bracelet!

Wannabe1484@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the great ideas! I would love to buy the troll molds/ if you would ever consider selling them. Just let me know. Thanks!
Ryan
ryanb.info@yahoo.com