I got a new casting pot and a smaller ladle that pours from the bottom. The pot holds the pewter temperature constant so it will pour more evenly, and when my ladle is empty I can just redip the ladle and keep pouring.Today I broke the number one rule of metal casting. I was using a stainless steel spoon to remove the dross (dirty slag that floats to the top of the hot pewter) and i forgot i had earlier taken the spoon out of some water. It couldn't have had more that a drop of water still on it, but when it hit the molten metal, the molten metal EXPLODED. I was lucky...i escaped with a red mark on my cheek and a minor burn on my shoulder. Fortunately I had safety glasses on - I wish I'd had my face mask on like I normally do and something more protective that a halter t-top.
and here are a few more items:
I also ruined one of my new good molds. it made a delightful mama fox and her kit and a papa fox....but whatever it was made out of it started to bubble up brown goo.. . i thought it might have left over resin in it, but it turns out it was the mold itself melting and most of the detail in the mold was destroyed... the mold itself is in the black long one in the first pic. below are the pewter creatures that had smeared details. they went back into the pot too.
live and learn.