Saturday, December 01, 2007

Next Step of my painting....more art slobbery


Here's the next step of my painting. I have begun to paint in the background and emphasize the bubbles. I am approaching it DJ painting style - sort of a derivitative of the painting style she taught me last year. After this has dried for a few days (it has a lot of caulk on it right now) I will start to really layer on the paint and glazes.
I am hoping to do one painting a month....and ...hopefully.....finish them....
This is my 3rd painting. My dear dear friend Joanna Lovetti works in an art gallery in Santa Fe New Mexico and the gallery owner/artist said that no one can call themselves a "painter" until they've painted at least 50 paintings. This has stuck in my brain, so I want to see, after I've done 50 paintings, if I am now a "painter". 47 1/2 paintings to go!
This is my art table:

I am an art slob. I have 3 art table areas in my studio space. I usually mess up each area very badly. I cut things out, trim, etc and just let it fall on the floor. Paper towels covered in paint, Q-tips, and teriyaki sticks stash in any space they drop to. As I look for the "perfect" paint or texture or embellishment, I pull things out and spill the contents. But I can't stop to make it all orderly....when my brain is working I have to take advantage of those precious creative moments. By the end of a creative session, I can't get around the shop without hopping over this or avoiding tripping over that. Somehow everything has come out - the ironing board, the boxes of fabric scraps, the jewelry findings I need for another project I may want to take into the house to work on while i watch TV....Soon all 3 workspaces - oh my gosh- the ENTIRE SHOP -is unnavigatable....and somewhere, buried under all the heaps ...is that one item I need now. I have moved the junk on the computer table to the printer table and the stuff from the printer table to my work chair....and then my back is aching from standing and I need to sit down. yeah right.
I have many many shelves for my supplies. Yet somehow, it is the most unused and obscure stuff I have that is most visible. The good stuff I need and use all the time I keep in boxes and bags and envelopes stored near my work tables. This makes them conveniently close - but EGADS! I can never find what I need quickly! here is how I store my paints. It is not a pretty sight.
...and I ALWAYS lose my cell phone. My DH has to call me so I can find it.


Of course, by the time I am full blown into a project ALL of the paints are somewhere, somehow on my worktable.
The good news is I am obsessed with having a clean studio to start a new project. My brain cannot focus and it is way too confusing to START a project amidst a mess. It makes me CRAZY! So when all 3 areas have been used for 3 projects (In this case, one is the painting, and 2 are covered in glass....oh, and my cutting table has a bead project on it.) ..and I have hit the creative point of letting it dry for a few days, or I'm waiting for the bails for the glass to arrive in the mail ...or in other words, I'm moving on to something else for now...... I MUST CLEAN IT UP....and I do. I put everything away, back where it belongs, I sweep the floor, I reorganize. It is never spotless, but the tables are all clear...and then I start over again.
My DH says I should show you the WHOLE shop. So you can see what true slobbery is. I will take a pic tomorrow, and add it to this post.
And tomorrow .....I clean up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks pretty clean to me! Manana is soon enough!