I have been busy working on Christmas projects - I can't believe Christmas is in 3 weeks! Of course, I am not ready, as usual. I promised myself I would start early and get everything done with ample time so I could enjoy the holidays...but alas - I am woefully behind and feeling the pressure I swore I wouldn't let myself feel.
I am involved in 2 Christmas Swaps - "the 12 days of Christmas", which I have finished, but I can't post any pics until everyone opens their present from me on Dec 8th .
...and the "8 Days of Chanukah", which I haven't quite finished yet.
I did however, finish one more hand - this was the hand for my blog winner Fran - she requested a hand in blue...it has a cuff made of turquoise chips.
I also finished my charms for a Black and White swap hosted by Amber Dawn.
I am incredibly neurotic about by artwork. First I decided to use some seashells I had gathered. They weren't quite black and white enough, so I enhanced the contrast with some paint. Then I resined the outside to make them more durable and then I put a layer of resin inside the shells so I could adhere a picture to a level surface, with the intention of then filling the shell with more clear resin and maybe some silver and white micro beads. I couldn't get the pics to fit right and I just didn't like them.
This is as far as I got with the seashell idea before I lost patience with them....
Then I got the idea to take tiny clothespins (1") and paint them white, decoupage words on them, dip them in microbeads (what's with my sudden obsession with those dumb beads) and then seal them with a varnish.
Way, way junky.
...lousy picture, but they look worse in person.....
...and then I decided to do something simple, my old stand by. Birds! I made some polymer black birds. The first batch i painted with white to fill in the carved designs - they looked kind of barnwashed. But the waterbased varnish "made for polymer clay" dried a bit tacky feeling and they felt ugly..
Scummy rejected blackbirds
So....I made a 2nd batch. These I left black except for the eyes. I wanted them matte with shiny beaks, but after a lot of experimentation (wet sand them with fine grit sandpaper and then buff to a natural shine with your muslin buff attached to your dremel - yeah, right - they looked way dull) I just put a single coat of varathane on them (it always works!) and made them into little charms.
Blackbirds drying on a line in my spotless shop....
Finished Charms...thank you, God.
So, because I made extra birds, I'm giving away a pair of bird earrings....for you, or to give as a gift, or to take apart for your own creations!
Cernit Polymer bird, swarovski crystals, glass polka dot bead, sterling rondell on sterling earwires (not shown)
Just leave a comment to this blog post - and tell me how you're dealing with the joyous season of Christmas (which I love) and the stress of underachieving overachievement! I'll randomly draw one name next Sunday Dec 7th.