Saturday, January 08, 2011
RAW 1 (Ring A Week) ECLECTIC
This is my first ring for the RAW Challenge. I made it from stuff lying on my workbench that had gone unused or else i had goofed up on and not used. I'm calling it "eclectic", to go along with the "Inchie Monday" week 1 prompt.
The bird is a bronze one i made, but I had drilled the bead hole crooked , so it just sat on my work table..seemed perfect to mount a flower coming out of his neck. I straightened out leftover sterling wire and threaded it with a red swarovski crystal, an orange (not yellow!) vintage flower bead and sterling crimps and ball bead. I strung this through the bird. I attached this conglomeration to a silver plated spoon end I had already hammered into a ring shape. The spoon ring was too small to fit any digit, so i opened it up a bit and drilled a hole through it. Then I took another piece of sterling wire and made a rivet head that i put through the bottom of the ring and though the bird....i touched a ball end onto this, and then curled the wire. Because it was too wiggly, I added more curled wire to tighten up. Still it was too loose, so i just super glued it in place. Pretty sloppy craftsmanship! If you tried to wear the ring, I doubt it would stay on your finger..... LOL.... not very practical - but then the challenge says the rings don't have to be useful - just rings!
Ring took about 15 minutes to put together,,,except i had to do it twice because the first time i ball torched the wire ends I MELTED the flower (I thought it was glass!).....so I had to get a new flower and start all over again.....