Thursday, August 18, 2011

Life in the Tropics...

I am pretty ok with most critters....Lord knows we have our share here on Kauai.....centipedes, cane spiders, geckos, chickens, rats, mice....but only one creature totally unnerves me.  I usually see it scampering from under wet palm fronds or on the tool shed door when i open it to the light....very rarely in the house.... but .....
i grabbed a halter top from  our open closet and slipped it on as I walked into the kitchen
....now it could have already been on the shirt, or dropped from the ceiling (baby geckos do this all the time) or flown in from the dog door (Sookie likes to find things outside and bring them in to torture play with)...who knows?.......but i felt the tie from the halter tickle my neck, so i brushed my hand against it...and then i felt something on my arm, so i shook it..
.....and off  IT flew..
A huge hawaiian COCKROACH. gross.gross.gross!   I SCREAMED. I stood on one foot - paralyzed in this...um.. ridiculous position.
Lance came rushing in and laughed and laughed...
then he squished it into oblivion.
I was so grateful.
I am such a sissy.
WARNING!  This You Tube video is disgusting.  It gives me the creeps....just saying....

3 comments:

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

GAHHH!!!! ::::heeebiejeeebies!:::::::

:o)

I am actually surprised to learn that you are actually creeped out by something as much as I am!

Flying NYC waterbugs freak us out!!!!!

jackie said...

I am with you, Connie! I detest those creepy, sneaky, gross insects!! They're horrible when they scurry around but they gross me out even when they're dead!!

Joanne Huffman said...

Years ago, when I lived in Miami, I encountered roaches that gave me nightmares. I totally understand being grossed out.