Saturday, May 12, 2012

ALMOST READY TO MOVE ON....

I finished a few more bracelets...  you are probably about as sick of seeing them as i am of making them....but I am determined to finish the ones I have started....and a few more i have promised to others...then i will be doing a MAJOR refurbishing of my shop.  I just can't stand it anymore....
meanwhile....
I have been experimenting with new ways to add color that will last.  Not so much on silver, but on the copper which darkens as it ages no matter what i coat it with.  This round I am coating the copper cuffs  with ice resin.
so time will tell!

this one started out as a spec commission cuff from a sterling silver spoon with brass snakes and a glass eyeball  (see above) - but the finished spoon was unbalanced and wouldn't stay straight on the wrist, so I cut the spoon handle off and mounted the eye and snakes on silver focal on a copper cuff.  I still have to make the spec commission cuff, and i will be using 2 spoon handles soldered to the spoon bowl so it will fit better.  The snakes and the eye mount will be made from bronze clay....
lots of deep etching
repurposed glass eyeball with snakes on sterling silver spoon bowl

The next one is formfolded, but not etched.  I'm calling it a volcano cuff, because the red folds made a lovely mountain.  I wanted flowing lava but everything i pretested looked tacky and too busy, so i decided to leave it plain.
Colored with vitreous enamel, ice resin
some of the enamel is iridescent
...and this is the finished etched and formfolded copper leaf with pearl cuff.  The pearl is actually peach colored- the pic looks off white for some reason.
 ...and one more sea horse copper cuff ......
Cuff and seahorse are both colored with vitreous enamel and mica...it makes a hard  and durable colored surface.
All of the new copper cuffs are bigger than the ones I made before- 7"- 8 " around...but I like them better looser.  
Today i filled some iridescent green and blue beetle wings with resin.  When set up, i will mount the wings in copper bezels and see how they look on a copper cuff.  No pics of that yet.  The copper cuff part is etched with celtic symbols.  It was made for a friend, and was to have a turquoise stone on it, but it turned out too wide for her...so i will be making  a new celtic copper cuff....
....and that will be the last one..............
whew!
I am soooo ready to move on!






3 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

Gorgeous cuffs you've created!

Joanne Huffman said...

I'm sorry to think the cuff era is coming to an end. They are so absolutely beautiful! What's your next project?

Kathy McElroy said...

Very cool bracelets. Love the one you sent me.