Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Micro nuts and bolts...Bullet Cross pics and MORE!

Yesterday i received various sizes of nuts and bolts from micromark. The smallest, a size 0-90, is my favorite! I got flat head screws and hex head screws.... I got a matching drill bit too so i could drill skinny holes that fit. I also got size 0- 80's, 1-72's and 1-256's.

The 1st one is a size 0-90 - my fave
the 2nd one is a 0-80 hex head, 3rd one is a 0-80 flat screw head, with the matching nut
4th one is a 1-72 hex head.....all of these are supposed to be 3/8 inch long
the 5th one is from susan lenart kazmir's Objects and Elements Shop - a good deal actually, $20 bucks for 50 nut and bolt sets! ...probably a size 0-80 as far as I can tell. 1/4 inch long..the nut however is bigger than the other ones...
...and the last one is a 1-256...small, but too big for me. Look at the head...this is what you don't want - it is a recessed head - not a flat head...not good for attaching unbeveled metal together tightly. here's a better pic to show you what I mean...

...see the beveled (or counter sunk) head?
The best part of my purchase, though, were the tiny nut holders I got that hold the nut and help you screw it on easily.


I still needed my needle nose flat pliers to do the final tightening, but my fingers always seem too big for tiny things and this tool really helped. you get 4 sizes of nut holders for $19.95. I LOVE micromark. I also found a source for the nuts and bolts that has really reasonable prices, now that I know what the sizes really look like. The other company is microfasteners.
I couldn't finish my bullet cross because it was too late to rivet the wings onto the cross and resin didn't seem strong enough nor did superglue....so nuts and bolts were a great solution..(heaven forbid the wings come off).....they went on really easy...i had ordered 3/8 inch long bolts - probably would have been better with 1/4 inch, but i just cut off the excess.

I also used loctite on the threads to further keep the nuts from ever loosening, and a drop of superglue for good measure!...so now the "goth steampunk skull and bullet cross" necklace is finished. YAY!

The cross is made of brass bullet casings (used - from the set of "Jericho"). A snake vertebrae (I was told it was a cobra...maybe) is at the top of the cross. The center has a tiny blue raku ceramic skull and the hands are also blue raku. It also has vintage metal eagle buttons and brass shotgun shell bezels filled with resin and bb's, and barbed wire (but not sharp!) style baling wire links. The clasp is a forged steel toggle. Garnet drops hang from the cross as well as from the chain.

details...

metal vintage button link....
Chain is approx 34 inches long...I may shorten it to 30" and make a pair of earrings...or not!
Cross is an additional 4 1/2 inches high.
Here is a pair of steampunk shotgun and airplane earrings. They were made with little stamped airplanes that were filled with resin and microbeads, brass shotgun shell bases and old watch parts. The back of the brass base is lined with resined vintage bible proverbs and old watch parts and microbeads in more resin. The earwires are yellow non reactive niobium.


I will put these on my Etsy shop, eventually!

PLEASE leave me your EMAIL ADDRESS ...otherwise I can't thank you for visiting my blog!

9 comments:

jackie said...

Absolutely stunning cross necklace!! Glad you found the proper hardware to finish and substantiate it! And I LOVE the airplane earrings! The micro details that you incorporate into your creative jewelry just astounds me! Your steampunk art is fabulous!!

Sue said...

I bought a tin our gears at the last flea mkt I went to. They are a bit large, but I bet you could use them too. I will mail you some.
Sue

Darya said...

VERY cool pieces Connie! Love that the brass casing came from Jericho!!! Can you post a link to Micromark? I've been looking for tiny screws since A&S last year...
Hope you are weathering the storm.

Hugs,
Darya (daryas@gmail.com)

Lorri Scott said...

When I was reading the first of this post about all those screws I thought she forgot to list that you have a screw loose! lol! but after seeing the cool stuff you made, WOW! You are so imaginative. I wanna come visit but my schedule is too full of traveling to shows and teaching I don't know if I'll get over to the island again this year or not. wah!

xxox

Joanne Huffman said...

I am definitely connecting to Micromark and Microfasteners when I get home. I did buy some nuts, bolts and eyelets from Susan when I took her class, but I really need to take inventory when I get home to make sure I'm all stocked up. Your cross is fantastic. You are so good at tending to detail and making sure everything is perfect. The earrings are great fun - I love the watch part fillings.

Kathy McElroy said...

Wow Connie, you are the most creative, artistic jewelery designer ever. Everything is wonderful.You always blow me away.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! ☺

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

whatever you are using...it is working...your work is amazing...i am sharing you with my friends on facebook and twitter right now...thanks for following me...hugs, rebecca

Anonymous said...

I love the Cross with skull !!!!!!!! Are they for sale ???? If so i am interested . . . . Please how do I contact you to purchase or have one made?? Please let me knoe here is my email address--

Lance_Harman@hotmail.com